When Biotropica is not @Biotropica
We all know what Biotropica is – the leading source of original research on the ecology, conservation, and management of tropical ecosystems, and on the evolution, behavior, and population biology of tropical organisms.
Here is a short list of some of the things that use the name ‘Biotropica’ but are definitely not Biotropica:
- A rainforest park/greenhouse in France
- An environmental consulting company in Brazil.
- An environmental consulting company in Australia
- A birdwatching tour operator in Ecuador
- The Southeast Asian journal of tropical biology named Biotropia (leaving out the C was pretty sneaky!)
- And we are most definitely not the cosmetics company making something called “Island Whip Exotic Body Butter“.
We had the name first. Go get your own name. I would love to know how it was chosen to be sure we didn’t steal it from someone else, but I am sure we started using it before those on the list above did. Basically, it comes down to this: There can be only one Biotropica.
Not that I’m advocating decapitating anyone. Though I would like to point out there are lots of days where being EIC feels like the Quickening, including the whole lighting-bolts-through-the-body and waking up exhausted in a pool of your own sweat. Just ask Jaboury and Robin, they’ll tell you its true.